If you are starting your own company, how do you offer your products and/or services? Usually, through a website! You need a hosting provider where you can create a website and put it online. But what does web hosting entail?
Create a domain name
To create a website, you first need a domain name. A domain name is the address of the website. The domain name points to an IP address which is translated into a text-based version. This way you don’t have to enter a long string of numbers to find the right website. It’s important to register your domain as soon as possible, to prevent others from buying it.
What is web hosting?
To store the files that make up your website you must rent a piece of web space online. The web space is usually provided by a server located in the many datacenters spread all over the world. The server hosting your website works like a a computer that is always online and provides services to customers.
This server ensures that your website can be accessed via the internet. While you want everyone to be able to visit and use your website, it is important to keep malicious visitors away. So, it is important that the server where you host your website is safe and reliable.
What should I pay attention to with web hosting?
1. What do you want to achieve with your website? If you have a specific goal in mind, it is easier to choose a suitable hosting provider.
2. The security and reliability of the hosting provider. This is important for both you and your customers.
3. Any restrictions on traffic and bandwidth. Some hosting providers charge extra if you reach a certain number of visitors.
4. An adequate amount of storage. You must be able to set up the website exactly how you want it.
5. Good customer service. From time to time, things can go wrong with your website, so it’s important that someone from the support team is ready to help you.
6. Make sure you have everything with one hosting provider, both your domain name registration and the hosting. This way you make it easier for yourself!
7. Built-in website builders, so you can design a website quickly and easily.
What is Shared Hosting?
This is generally the most used type of web hosting. With Shared Hosting, the website is placed on the same server as other websites. So, you share server resources with other websites. The number of websites using the same server varies from a few hundred to a thousand. Technical maintenance is performed by the server provider. Because you share the server with others, this is the cheapest web hosting option.
What is Virtual Private Server VPS Hosting?
Just like with Shared Hosting, you share the server with others, but the difference is that each VPS user has their own section with allocated resources. You have more memory, storage and processing power. It is more expensive than Shared Hosting, but you can access the root to modify the server software to run applications built for the systems.
What is Dedicated Hosting?
With Dedicated Hosting you have the entire server to yourself. You have the same access as with VPS Hosting, but you don’t have to share the server. You rent the physical web server that is in the building of the hosting provider or datacenter. In addition, you have expert support and knowledge at hand.
What is Cloud Hosting?
Cloud Hosting offers unlimited possibilities to handle many peaks in traffic. A group of servers (cloud) work together to host a group of websites. This allows multiple computers to work together to handle peaks for your website.
The disadvantages of the four types of web hosting
Shared Hosting has limited ability to handle high traffic peaks and does not provide full server management. Since the server is shared with other websites, the performance can easily be affected by the other websites.
VPS Hosting can have trouble handling sudden traffic peaks as it offers a fixed number of server resources.
Dedicated Hosting has a lot of ability, which makes it more expensive.
Many hosting providers do not offer root access with Cloud Hosting, this means that you cannot change the server settings and install certain software.
Which web hosting do I need?
Shared Hosting is useful for a simple website with little traffic. If you have little or no technical knowledge, no time to update your own server and are looking for a cheap web hosting, Shared Hosting is the best choice for you.
If you want more freedom to run your own applications/servers, manage multiple websites, be less bothered by others on the server and offer your own service portfolio, VPS Hosting is a good choice.
Do you need a lot of storage space because your website has a lot of traffic? Dedicated Hosting is the right choice for you because of its dedicated, undistributed system resources, such as processing power, memory, and disk performance.
If you need more flexibility with seasonal traffic, Cloud Hosting is the right choice for you.
What does a web hosting package include?
Hosting providers focus on various components, such as disk space, data traffic, the security of the internet connection, adding email addresses and the ease of use of the control panel.
vBoxx has everything for fast and reliable web hosting. Registering your own domain name and having full control over your own website, it’s all possible!
- We are GDPR Ready.
- We use the latest technologies to keep your website safe.
- The spam filter ensures that the viruses remain outside the door.
- Backups are made so that your data won’t get lost.
- When you register a domain name, you will receive a free e-mail with your domain name.
- Our support team is ready to help you!