How to edit documents with vBoxxCloud?
With the real-time Web Editor, you can edit and create, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and Powerpoint presentations, without downloading or opening with a separate application. Additionally, the vBoxxCloud Web Editor allows you to make these changes simultaneously with multiple co-authors, and lets you see each edit in real time.
Advanced features include:
- A wide range of formatting tools to help you change fonts, paragraph formats, charts, tables, images, style types, and more.
- Work at the same time with co-authors and view their changes in real time.
- Send and receive instant chat messages
- Add, view, and manage changes and comments
- Files automatically save ten seconds after the latest edit.
- For security purposes, an editing session will end after one hour of inactivity.
- Editing a file within the Collaborative Web Editor will generate a revision in vBoxxCloud.
- In the Web Portal, a file that is being actively edited from within the Collaborative Web Editor will be marked with a Web Edit icon. Team Share subscribers will still be able to launch this file from the web portal using the Collaborative Web Editor.
- In the desktop client, a file that is being actively edited from within the Collaborative Web Editor will be automatically protected by the File and Folder Locking feature and marked with a lock icon. Team Share subscribers will not be able to edit this file using applications on their local machines until this file is closed in the Collaborative Web Editor.
Launching the Collaborative Web Editor
To use the vBoxxCloud Web Editor:
- In the Files tab of the web portal, navigate to the file that you want to edit.
Alternatively, you can create a new file by clicking on the Create drop-down button and selecting the appropriate file type.
- To edit an existing file, right-click the file and select Edit.
- To configure advanced settings, click the Manage button.
- In the left-hand navigation bar, click the Advanced Settings link to turn on and off features, such as commenting, spell check, auto-save, and so forth. You can also choose to view or disable real-time collaboration changes.
While still in the Files section of the tool, you can:
- Click Save to save the file.
- Click Save as to save the file with a new name. You also have the option to save the file to a new file format or a new location.
Note: If you choose to save the file as a PDF document, the file will open in Web Preview mode. You will be unable to edit the file in PDF format.
- Click Share Link to generate a share link for a standard user or guest user. The recipient will be given privileges to co-edit the document using the Collaborative Web Editor. For instructions on configuring share links, please reference the Creating Share Links as an End User Knowledgebase article.
- Click Download as to download the file to your local machine. You will be presented with the option to download the file in your preferred file format.
- Click Print to print the document using your preferred printing device.
- Click Help to view a comprehensive listing of all available functionality.
Inviting Co-authors to Collaborate
To collaborate on a file in real time, you can create a share link from the web portal or your desktop client.
You can also invite users to collaborate from within the Collaborative Web Editor:
- Click the File tab and select Share Link.
- Select the Public Share URL radio button, and then click the Copy button to ensure that you capture the URL of the file.
- Select the Allow anonymous users to edit files checkbox to let anyone who launches the share link to edit the file using the Collaborative Web Editor.
- Click the Share button to save your settings. You will then be able to paste the share link in an email, chat, or other messaging device.
- To view a list of coauthors who are actively editing the file, click the View Users button.
- When users make changes, the edits are immediately visible and marked with a vertical bar.
- Hover over the vertical bar to view editing details.
Chatting with Co-authors
When you are collaborating on a document in real time, you can use the Chat feature to communicate and share ideas with co-authors:
- In the left-hand navigation bar, click the Chat button to reveal the chat window.
- Enter your message in the Chat dialog box and click the Send button. A visual overlay displays over the recipient’s Chat button, indicating that a new message is available to view.
Editing with Co-Authors
The vBoxxCloud Web Editor allows you to Track Changes while working on Word documents. You can also embed comments into files to aid in the collaboration process.
Note: If the file is later downloaded and opened on a local machine, these edits and comments will remain, and will display in all applications that support Track Changes and commenting (for example, Microsoft Office products).
- To turn on Track Changes for Word documents, click the Track Changes button found at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
- To add a comment, highlight the appropriate portion of the file, right-click the highlighted content, and then select Add Comment.
3. To view all comments in the document, or to respond to an existing comment, click the Comments button in the left-hand navigation bar. You can use the toolbar to edit, delete, or mark a comment as resolved.